12 free tax resources to get your firm ready for 2020
Stock your arsenal of forms, templates and charts:
- Year-end planning letter for individuals — It’s the season. Tell your clients about key steps to take today to build a solid tax and financial planning strategy in the new year.
- Year-end planning letter for small business — Strengthen relationships with your small business clients. Use this letter to tell them about important tax considerations and point out that you can help with strategic tax planning.
- Tax return due dates guidance — Know the upcoming deadlines. The Federal tax return due dates chart and other tools on this page will keep you on top of those tax return and payment due dates to maximize your workflow productivity.
- Sample consent forms for disclosing tax return information — Relax! We’ve done the work for you. Use these sample consent forms as a guide when sharing your clients’ tax return information with outside parties. This is needed to comply with Internal Revenue Code Sec. 7216.
- IRS hotlines quick reference chart — When there’s an issue with your client’s return, you want fast answers. Keep this IRS Rolodex handy to help you resolve various tax matters.
Educate your clients on key topics
- 2019 tax year in review presentation — Showcase your value as a trusted CPA adviser. Run through next year’s tax and planning highlights with your clients as well as potential new clients.
- Tax law snapshot — Motivate your clients to contact you. Send them this rundown of tax highlights that may affect them to help get the conversation started and start the tax engagement off on the right foot.
- Preparing for life’s moments presentation — Now’s a good time to educate clients on what you can provide as their trusted adviser — during tax season and beyond. Use this presentation as a guide when speaking with prospective clients about the advantages of working with a CPA and the types of year-round services you provide.
- Protecting yourself from tax-related identity theft brochure — Use this client brochure to help your clients avoid tax-related identity theft and outline what to do if it happens to them.
Expand upon your knowledge of financial planning
- Financial Planning and Tax Advisory podcast series — Clients want a primary point of contact for their tax and financial planning needs. Before busy season starts, listen to tips from successful practitioners on how to formalize financial planning services, such as tax, estate, retirement, risk management and investment planning.
- The Adviser’s Guide to Financial and Estate Planning — If you are looking for educational reading this holiday break, consider Volume 1 of this guide. It provides an extensive and practical look at financial planning and estate planning topics for individual clients.
We hope you’ll find these resources helpful. Visit our Tax Season Resource hub to access even more great resources to help you and staff prepare for busy season.
Minh Graham, CPA, Lead Manager — Tax Practice and Ethics, Association of International Certified Professional Accountants
- 6 ways we’re working for our small firm members
- Reimagining the profession for a vibrant future
- How to make the accounting profession more diverse and inclusive